I loved cupcakes growing up and I love cupcakes still, except a lot of the time I cannot eat the beautiful cupcakes that are sold in stores. I think most of the time its the beauty of the cupcake that makes me want to eat it! Some people are amazing at decorating these little baked goods!
When I first started to adapt my diet to be completely gluten free, I played around with a lot of different flours. Rice flour, buckwheat, arrowroot, quinoa, chickpea…you named it I have tried it. However, I always come back to using recipes with coconut flour. Coconut flour is not the easiest type of flour to work with, is absorbs moisture like one of those Shamwow towels they used to advertise on daytime TV. It is therefore very important that a lot of liquid is used and a lot of eggs are used when baking with coconut flour. Coconut flour is also expensive, but keep in mind, very little goes a long way. A lot of the recipes I post only requires about half a cup of coconut flour to make a loaf of bread!
Anyway…back to cupcakes. I woke up super early this morning due to the rain and wind in Perth (goodbye beautiful summer weather) and I could not go back to sleep. I thought I would bake something for my flight to Sydney tomorrow and cupcakes it was! I used Comfy Belly’s Very Vanilla Cupcake Recipe as a base and adapted her Marshmallow Frosting to make a delicious cinnamon flavoured frosting instead…perfect for this colder Perth weather! These are paleo friendly and gluten free. You can also use as much or little sweetener as you like for these cupcakes! Enjoy!
Coconut Vanilla Cupcakes with Cinnamon Marshmallow Frosting
Ingredients for the Cupcakes
- 1/2 Cup of Coconut Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
- 4 Eggs
- 4 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil (Melted)
- 1/2 Cup of Honey, Rice Malt Syrup or Maple Syrup
- 1.5 Tablespoons of Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tablespoons of Almond Milk
Ingredients for the Frosting
- 1 Egg White
- 2 Tablespoons of Honey
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180 Degrees Celcius and line a cupcake pan with 8 – 9 cupcake liners
- Place coconut flour, salt, baking soda in a bowl and mix well
- Place the 4 eggs into the dry mixture and the coconut oil and using a hand or stand mixer, mix until ingredients are combined with the dry ingredients
- Add in the honey, vanilla extract and the milk and continue to mix with the electric mixer until all ingredients are combined and produces a smooth batter.
- Put the batter in the cupcake liners, making sure they are about 3/4 full
- The mixture should make about 8 or 9 cupcakes
- Place in the oven for about 20 minutes and once complete allow the cupcakes to cool for about an hour before frosting.
Method for the Frosting
- Melt the honey in the microwave for about 30 seconds
- Using an electric mixer beat the egg whites until soft peaks form
- Slowly add in the honey and vanilla extract and continue to beat the egg whites (try to stop as little as possible)
- Add in the cinnamon and mix until the cinnamon is combined
- Using a small spoon place a dollop on the cupcake and spread in a circular motion to get a pretty little marshmallow ‘fluff’ on your cupcakes!